UDC: 130.123:215:22.06:
https://doi.org/10.25198/2077-7175-2024-3-108

ON THE ISSUE OF KERYGMATIC FAITH

D. V. Kotelevsky
Ural Federal University named after the First President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Yekaterinburg, Russia
e-mail: kotelevsky@mail.ru

Abstract. In the article, the main subject of analysis is the phenomenon of faith. Despite the fact that the phenomenon of faith has been sufficiently studied from the point of view of different approaches, not much attention has traditionally been paid to the mechanisms of the subjective act of accepting faith. Since this aspect of the existence of faith requires closer consideration, it is placed at the center of the analysis in the article. The main goal of this work is to substantiate the position that the act of accepting faith has not only psychological aspects, but can be considered as a basic existential characteristic of human existence. Thus, the very understanding of this process in all its manifestations can be fundamentally expanded and extended to all spheres of human life and society. The work examines the basic principles of understanding faith by some Protestant theologians, who placed subjective faith in the center of attention and paid special attention to the moment of acceptance of faith. In this specific context, the ideas of the kerygmatic theology of the Protestant thinker Rudolf Bultmann are considered. To a large extent, the principles of Bultmann’s approach determined the methodology for considering the phenomenon being analyzed. The article introduces and substantiates the concept of «kerygmatic faith». It is shown that this concept has significant methodological and heuristic novelty. To substantiate the productivity of this concept, modern interpretations of faith are used, in particular, the positions expressed by the French philosopher Alain Badiou during his analysis of the role of the Apostle Paul in the formation of the Christian faith. The work outlines a possible line of further analysis of the phenomenon of kerygmatic faith, which involves both the development of the already undertaken interpretation of the ideas of Rudolf Bultmann in a broader ontic and ontological context, and the possibility of supplementing such a view of the phenomenon of acceptance of faith with principles borrowed from the methodology of hermeneutics and psychoanalysis of Jacques Lacan.

Key words: kerygmatic faith, act of acceptance of faith, Protestant theology, kerygmatic theology, Resurrection of Christ, eschatology, universalism.

Cite as: Kotelevsky, D. V. (2024) [On the issue of kerygmatic faith]. Intellekt. Innovacii. Investicii [Intellect. Innovations. Investments]. Vol. 3, pp. 108–114. – https://doi.org/10.25198/2077-7175-2024-3-108.

References

1. Agamben, J. (2018) Ostavsheesya vremya: Kommentarij k Poslaniyu k Rimlyanam [Remaining time]. Translation from It. S. Ermakov. Moscow: New Literary Review, 224 p.
  2. Badiou, A. (1999) Apostol Pavel. Obosnovanie universalizma [Apostle Paul. Justification for universalism. Publishing house]. Moscow: Moscow Philosophical Foundation, University Book; St. Petersburg: University book, 94 p. (In Russ., transl. from French).
  3. Bloor, D. (2012) [Chapter 6. Is alternative mathematics possible]. Sociologiya vlasti [Sociology of power] Vol. 6–7 (1), pp. 150–177. (In Russ., transl. from Eng.).
  4. Bultmann, R. (2004) [New Testament and Mythology. The problem of demythologizing the New Testament proclamation] Translation G.V. Vdovinoj. Bul’tman R. Izbrannoe: Vera i ponimanie [Bultmann R. Selected: Faith and Understanding] V. I–II. Moscow: ROSSPEN, 752 p. (In Russ.).
  5. Gadamer, H. G. (1988) Istina i metod: Osnovy filos. germenevtiki [Truth and Method. Foundations of philosophical hermeneutics]. Moscow: Progress, 704 p. (In Russ., transl. from Germ.).
  6. Dolgorukov, V. V. (2017) [Epistemic presuppositions and taxonomy of assertive]. Epistemologiya i filosofiya nauki [Epistemology & Philosophy of Science]. Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 92–105. – https://doi.org/10.5840/eps201751112. (In Russ.).
  7. Kotelevsky, D. V. (2022) [Faith as an ontognoseological phenomenon]. PIVOVAROV-READINGS II: Religiya. CHelovek. Cifrovizaciya: processy differenciacii i sinteza znaniya: sbornik statej vtoroj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem, 29–30 oktyabrya 2021 g. Ekaterinburg [PIVOVAROV-READINGS II: Religion. Human. Digitalization: processes of differentiation and synthesis of knowledge: collection of articles of the second scientific and practical conference with international participation, October 29–30, 2021 Ekaterinburg]. Ural Federal University named after the First President of Russia B. N. Yeltsin. Ekaterinburg: Business book, pp. 138–140. (In Russ.).
  8. Kuhn, T. (2003) Struktura nauchnyh revolyucij [Structure of scientific revolutions]. Moscow: ACT Publishing House LLC, 605 p. (In Russ., transl. from Eng.).
  9. Kierkegaard, S. (2014) Ili — ili: Fragment iz zhizni [Either – or: A fragment from life]. Moscow: Academic project, 775 p. (In Russ., transl. from Dan.).
  10. Kierkegaard, S. (1993) Strah i trepet [Fear and Trembling]. General edition, compilation and preface S. Isaev. Moscow: Republic, 382 p. (In Russ., transl. from Dan.).
  11. Pivovarov, D. V. (2003) Dusha i vera [Soul and Faith]. Orenburg: Publ.house ORIATEW (Typ. Orenburg Region Institute for Advanced Training of Education Workers), 223 p.
  12. Pivovarov, D. V. (2017) Ontologiya religii: osnovnye ponyatiya i principy [Ontology of religion: basic concepts and principles]. D. V. Pivovarov. St. Petersburg: Aletheia, 568 p.
  13. Podoroga, V. A. (1995) Vyrazhenie i smysl. Landshaftnye miry filosofii: K’erkegor, Nicshe, Hajdegger, Prust, Kafka [Expression and meaning. Landscape worlds of philosophy: S. Kierkegaard, F. Nietzsche, M. Heidegger, M. Proust, F. Kafka]. Мoscow: Ad Marginem, 426 p.
  14. Polanyi, M. (1985) Lichnostnoe znanie. Na puti k postkriticheskoj filosofii [Personal knowledge. On the way to post-critical philosophy]. Moscow: Progress, 344 p. (In Russ., transl. from Eng.).
  15. Feyerabend, P. (2007) Protiv metoda: ocherk anarhistskoj teorii poznaniya [Against the method. Essay on the anarchist theory of knowledge]. Paul Feyerabend; Moscow: AST: AST MOSCOW: GUARDIAN, 413 p. (In Russ., transl. from Eng.).
  16. Bloor, D. (2011) The Enigma of the Aerofoil: Rival Theories in Aerodynamics, 1909–1930. David Bloor. The University of Chicago Press, Ltd., London, 561 p.